Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top 10 Books I resolve to read in 2011

"Top 10" Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke & the Bookish.
This week's list:

Top 10 Books I resolve to read in 2011


1. Unwind - Neal Shusterman: I love dystopian fiction, & this one has been calling to me for a while now. It sounds so twisted, but fascinating at the same time!

2. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (translated by Julie Rose): I tried reading this book a couple years ago, & it took me 8 months just to get half-way through! I'm determined to try again but with a different translation. I love the musical & the movie, now I just need to make it through the book!

3. Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen: I've had this on my shelf at home for the longest time. I finally read Pride & Prejudice this last year & am excited to get to this one. You would think having my BA in English would guarentee that I'd read every Austen, but I was only ever required to read Emma, so I have a lot of catching up to do!

4. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee: I read this back in high school & hardly remember anything about it. So many people mark it as one of their favorites, if not their absolute favorite, so I thought it was about time for a reread.



5. Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Marillier: My mom gave me this book to read a long time ago, & it's been sitting around my house ever since. It's gotten such high ratings, & I've always loved fairytales, so I am determined to finally get to this one!

6. Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray: This is another book I've had sitting on my shelf at home for a really long time. I saw the movie & thought it was really good (after some reflection), so decided to read the book as well. There's something I like about stories with anti-heroes & seeing how their choices build up to make an unfulfilling life that could have been prevented.

7. The Road - Cormac McCarthy: I studied & enjoyed All the Pretty Horses in college & decided to try another of McCarthy's books. I've heard this one is disturbing, & people seem to either love it or hate it. I'm hoping I'm in the love it group!


8. Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare: I discovered Clare's Mortal Instruments series this last year & really liked them! I've heard so many people say they like this book even more, so I can't wait to read it & enter the lives of the shadowhunters again (dorky? yes. but I like it!)!

9. A Gracious Plenty - Sheri Reynolds: I read The Rapture of Canaan about 8 years ago & added it to my list of favorite books. This has been on my tbr list for such a long time, & I'm excited to try out another of Reynold's books. Plus it just sounds so eerie!

10. Nevermore - Kelly Creigh: Edgar Allan Poe has always terrified me, but his writing is unbelievably good & twisted! I'm really, really excited to see how they used Poe's influence in this story, & I'm always up for a paranormal love story!

10 comments:

Marce said...

I read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time last year, it was good to read the classic and see what the hype is about.

Thanks for visiting.

Jay said...

I also need to read Unwind and Nevermore!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I read Les Miserables (well, an abridgement!) last summer before I went to Paris. Even the abridgement was a struggle for me to get through!

Good luck!

Laura @ The Shabby Rabbit said...

I just read To Kill a Mockingbird in December and yes it is favorite now. I'm also in the Love category for The Road.

New Follower too!

A Journey in Reading said...

TKAM, S&S and Les Mis are 3 of my favorite books of all time! I hope that you enjoy them! I must admit that I STILL have a crush on Atticus Finch!

Bill said...

I'm one of those that say TKAM is their favourite book of all time. I also read The Road and it was ok. Not my favourite of the end-of-world scenario type books, but still a page turner. Enjoy your readings for 2011

Anonymous said...

Sense & Sensibility is one of the Austen novels I haven't read, so I'm hoping to fix that this year. I also want to try and read Vanity Fair as well, I have that on my Kindle. I've also been looking for Nevermore as well, need to track it down, probably online.

Lark Andrea said...

Drop everything and go read Unwind right this moment. It is hauntingly good.

Kara said...

I REALLY want to read Nevermore, and I've heard good things about Unwind!

Rummanah Aasi said...

I have "Nevermore" in my pile at the moment. "Unwind" gave me goosebumps the entire time I read it. What a terrific book!

I almost put "Les Mis" on my list since I only read the abridge verison in high school. Perhaps next year. Good luck and happy reading!