Monday, June 6, 2011

Mini Reviews


1. Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Marillier (4*): It's been a while since I've read an epic fantasy (not sure if this is considered epic or not?), & I really enjoyed it! I love fairy tale retellings & quite liked this one. The bonds between brothers & sister were well developed & strong, & the love story was very sweet. I did, however, think this book was on the wordy side. The same story could have been told in fewer words &, in my opinion, been more effective. I found myself wanting the story to get on with it. At the same time, I couldn't begin to focus on any other books I was reading b/c this one was so difficult to put down. I will most likely continue this series, although I'll need to take a break from it for a bit.

2. The White Queen - Philippa Gregory (2.75*):  It took me a long time to get into this book. I just didn't feel much of a connection with the main character (I actually thought she was pretty unlikeable). I've read & liked plenty of Philippa Gregory's books, but this one wasn't my favorite.

3. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (4*): What a bizarre family! I put this book off for such a long time b/c I tend to avoid non-fiction or depressing sounding books. So I was amazed at how much a liked it. The stories of Jeannette Walls' childhood are outrageous - I'm surprised that she survived it & with such a positive attitude & sense of humor. There were laugh-out-loud moments throughout the book, as well as many times I just wanted to cry for the way the children in Walls' family were brought up. I really enjoyed this book & am glad I finally got around to reading it.

0 comments: